NASHVILLE – (March 24, 2023)
Today, Gaither Music Group, Arista/Legacy Recordings and The Estate of Whitney E. Houston release the long-awaited project I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston. The album features 15 tracks, including six never-before-released songs, showcasing Whitney’s deep love for gospel music, which profoundly influenced her life and career. The album is available on CD through Gaither Music Group and on all digital streaming platforms via Arista/Legacy Recordings.
The documentary TV special, hosted by GRAMMY-winning gospel singer CeCe Winans and produced by Barry Jennings, explores the steadfast faith that accompanied Whitney to stardom, from her first-ever performance in front of an audience to her many breathtaking appearances performing gospel songs. It features unforgettable performances at the NAACP Image Awards, at the American Music Awards, and at Ebony’s 50th Anniversary TV special. I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston will air on multiple TV networks, premiering Friday, March 24, at 8 p.m. ET on both UPtv and AspireTV. The special will also be available on DVD.
The project showcases a voice that is unforgettable and enduring, transcending time and inspiring generations. With over 200 million records sold worldwide, Whitney remains one of the highest-selling artists in music history. Whitney also holds the distinction of being the only artist to have achieved seven consecutive number-one singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, cementing her position as one of the most accomplished recording artists ever. In addition, her performance on the soundtrack to the 1996 film The Preacher’s Wife elevated it to the best-selling gospel album of all time.
Paul Sizelove, President of Gaither Music Group, said: “Along with the Estate of Whitney E. Houston and Primary Wave Music, we are thrilled to release I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston. This album celebrates Whitney’s deep roots in gospel music and showcases her incredible talent and passion for the genre. We hope that listeners will be moved and inspired by Whitney’s powerful performances and the timeless messages of faith and hope in these songs.”
Pat Houston, Executor of the Estate of Whitney E. Houston, added: “Whitney Houston’s impact on the world of music is immeasurable, and her gospel roots were a significant part of her talent and legacy. We are thrilled to bring this project to her fans, old and new. It not only celebrates Whitney’s love for gospel music but also pays tribute to her unwavering faith and the comfort she found in her spirituality. We can’t wait for audiences to experience this incredible tribute to Whitney’s life and career.”
Included in the album are electrifying renditions of beloved gospel classics like “Jesus Loves Me” and “His Eye Is on the Sparrow,” as well as breathtaking tracks like “He Can Use Me,“ an astonishing live performance of “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “I Found a Wonderful Way,” and “Testimony” that are being released for the very first time as a part of this project. These recordings offer us a glimpse into the profound faith that fueled the voice that has inspired and influenced countless individuals worldwide.
- I Go to the Rock (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- Jesus Loves Me (The Bodyguard Soundtrack)
- He Can Use Me – UNRELEASED TRACK
- Joy to the World (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- Bridge Over Troubled Water (Whitney and CeCe Winans; VH1 Honors) – UNRELEASED TRACK
- Testimony – UNRELEASED TRACK
- I Look to You
- His Eye Is on the Sparrow (Sparkle soundtrack)
- Hold On, Help Is on the Way (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- This Day (VH1 Honors) – UNRELEASED TRACK
- I Found a Wonderful Way – UNRELEASED TRACK
- Joy (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- I Love the Lord (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- He/I Believe– UNRELEASED TRACK
Documentary Track Listing:
- I Go to the Rock – Whitney Houston featuring The Georgia Mass Choir, Saturday Night Live, 1996
- Guide Me O Thou, Great Jehovah – Whitney Houston, The Arsenio Hall Show, 1990
- This Day – Whitney Houston, VH1 Honors, 1995
- Jesus Loves Me – Whitney Houston, Live in Santiago, Chile, 1994
- Wonderful Counselor – Whitney, Cissy, & Gary Houston, American Music Awards, 1988
- Hold Up the Light – Whitney Houston and BeBe & CeCe Winans, 21st NAACP Image Awards, 1989
- Bridge Over Troubled Water – Whitney Houston and CeCe Winans, VH1 Honors, 1995
- I Look to You – Whitney Houston, 2009
- I Love the Lord – Whitney Houston featuring the Georgia Mass Choir, 50th Anniversary of Ebony Magazine TV Special, 1996
- Joy to the World – Whitney Houston featuring the Georgia Mass Choir, 50th Anniversary of Ebony Magazine TV Special, 1996