Raising Your Kids to Love the Lord
Practical life lessons, real-life stories, and Scriptural truths for being the family that glorifies God.
Preaching is his gift, but Pastor Dave Stone’s family is his passion and his life’s blessing. Dave and Beth have been married 27 years and have raised three children, as well as shepherd the diverse families of their congregation. Raising faithful families is a key to the future of the church. Raising Your Kids to Love the Lord is the first of three books in the Faithful Family series where Dave applies his practical, conversational, and humorous approach to the challenge of building a strong spiritual foundation for the family. Some of the topics include: Authenticity, Discipline, Modeling Godly Principles, Sharing the Load, and more.
It’s never too soon, or too late, to begin applying the tried and true wisdom this veteran of building strong families has to share.
1) When parents are fleshing out their faith and living out their days with joy and honesty, their children will be attracted to it.
2) Children want something that is real; they want to follow someone who is genuine.
3) Duplicity is not only exhausting, but it’s also damaging to the ones we love.
4) Everything else pales in comparison to a personal relationship with Christ.
5) Christianity is not about going to church or being outwardly religious. It’s about inner faith and commitment.
6) God is more concerned with your direction than He is with your perfection.
7) This Lord of ours specializes in making something from nothing and bringing beauty from ashes.
8) The task of raising godly kids is too big-and we are too small- for us to start anywhere except on our knees.
9) Pray with honesty and authenticity. Model that for your children.
10) If you want to be a family whose kids love the Lord, then pray that they will come to love the Lord.
11) If you believe in the power of prayer, nothing is important enough to get in the way. You’ll find the time.
12) Make your house a place where the timeless teachings of the Bible come to life and the principles of the Word are the principles you live by.
13) We have a responsibility to learn the Scripture and to teach it to our children.
14) Teach them Bible truths that will help them weather storms and walk on water and put their roots down deep into God’s Word.
15) Memorizing Scripture facilitates the transfer of truth from your head to your heart.
16) Your discipline shapes your child’s view of God.
17) If your kids know what to expect when they disobey, you establish a pattern that leads to peace and stability in the home.
18) Without discipline, chaos rules, love erodes, and inconsistency prevails.
19) You can’t pass on what you don’t possess yourself.
20) One of the best things you can do for your children is to keep your own spiritual reservoirs full.
21) Be intentional about showing your children what it means to love God and respect His Word.
22) A father’s positive presence and parental participation are huge factors in raising children who love the Lord.
23) The best way to be a good father is to be a good husband.
24) Make memories with each of your children. In years to come, they won’t remember what you spent. They’ll remember what you did.
25) Surround your children with people who are willing to help lift the load and carry them to higher ground.
26) Generosity models for your children how to hold the things of this world loosely.
27) One of the best ways to look more like God is to look less like the world.
28) Any time you step out of the spotlight and focus on meeting the needs around you, you are modeling for your kids true Christianity.
29) No matter how perfect the family pictures look, every family struggles and is dependent on God’s grace and mercy.
30) God’s goal is the same as yours- to help your family become the family that He wants you to be.
Visit www.nelsonfree.com/faithfulfamilies to download samples from Pastor Dave’s new books.