WATOTO: Rescuing Orphans And Vulnerable Women, Raising Them As Leaders, And Rebuilding Africa
Watoto Child Care Ministries is a holistic organization that is dedicated to the plight of orphaned and vulnerable children and women; including former child soldiers and the war-torn community of northern Ugandan. Through practical and life-giving programs, Watoto is actively involved in bringing healing and life to all those affected by civil war, disease and poverty.
Watoto was established in 1994 as a compassionate response to the AIDS crisis in Uganda and is now caring for more than 4,500 orphans and vulnerable women throughout Uganda, East Africa.
Activities currently on the ground include:
• Family-based care for orphaned children through Watoto children’s villages – there are currently three
children’s villages in Uganda, two in Kampala and one in Gulu, northern Uganda
• Holistic care for orphaned and destitute babies through Baby Watoto – there are currently three Watoto
babies’ homes in Uganda, two in Kampala and one in Gulu, northern Uganda
• Education – both formal and technical
• Medical intervention, including reconstructive surgery to mutilated women, access to HIV medication
and treatment, and the operation of Watoto medical clinics
• Trauma rehabilitation and psychosocial support
• Empowerment of vulnerable women through the Living Hope initiative, where women, most of whom
are HIV+ and returnees from abduction by the rebel army, are empowered and restored to a place
where they have dignity, value and worth
Hundreds of people travel from the US to Uganda every year to volunteer with Watoto in various capacities including building projects, providing care and assistance in the Watoto babies’ homes, medical teams and many other support services.
| The Watoto Children’s Choirs have traveled the world since 1994 as ambassadors for the millions of children in Africa, orphaned as a result of HIV/AIDS, war and poverty. Beautiful Africa: A New Generation is the new choir production that debuted in the US in September 2011 and is traveling through the US in 2012. Their audiences have included the Queen of England, Presidents George Bush and Barrack Obama, many other dignitaries and the public at large. For more information about Watoto, go to www.watoto.com.
Listen to their title song, “Beautiful Africa”, here…
Purchase Watoto music at their online store HERE.